Gardening and injury
Your Charlotte NC chiropractor knows that gardening is a wonderful pursuit that provides many with great satisfaction. Unfortunately, many are unwittingly injured after overindulgence in this pleasing, yet strenuous activity. Chiropractic doctors report that most gardeners are injured early in the growing season, as they perform strenuous work such as breaking ground, after being fairly inactive all winter season. Many gardeners are surprised when it happens because they joyfully throw themselves into the task, only to find out that they have made too many trips with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. We want to offer some tips that will help you enjoy your passion and help you avoid injury.
Keep active year around
Even during the long winter, try to find ways to get some walking in. Go for a short but robust walk whenever possible. If you have a treadmill, use it regularly. Stretching all of your major muscles should be a regular part of your daily routine. It is vitally important that you stretch immediately before you start working in the garden. The goal is to loosen up your back, shoulders, arms and legs; preparing you for the exertion that you will experience. Your Charlotte NC chiropractor can recommend simple and easy stretching exercises to perform before you begin working in the yard. This will save you a lot of potential discomfort. Stretch all the muscles in the sides of your torso, your thighs, wrists, shoulders, and back. It is also recommended that you stretch your muscles after you have finished gardening as a way to cool down.
Protect your back
It is important that you protect your back while working in the garden. Consider the following:
- When carrying heavy items; hold them close to your body as you lift, carry, and set them down.
- It is also important to turn and pivot your whole body, not just the top half.
- Gardening is extremely therapeutic, especially when you are working alone. However, if you are lifting something heavy, ask for help.
- If you are pulling weeds, be sure to take breaks to straighten your back and relax those muscles.
- When working close to the ground, use a stool or a pad for your knees.
- Be sure to alternate your activity. Do not stay in the same position for long periods of time.
- Limit each task to 30 minutes in duration, take a short break to get a drink of water, and then change to a different activity that will require the use of a different set of muscles.
“Care You Can Count On” from Charlotte NC chiropractor
When you have been injured, you need expert diagnosis and treatment from Charlotte NC chiropractor. Your health and well-being depends on it. The doctors at ChiroCarolina™ are experts at the diagnosis and treatment of adults and for children of all ages. Patients visit from all over North Carolina, South Carolina, and from as far as Georgia, Florida and Virginia. ChiroCarolina provides numerous treatment modalities to aid in their healing and optimal health. Chiropractic care should be an integral part of you and your family’s life. Do not hesitate to drop in or to call ChiroCarolina™, one of Charlotte’s top chiropractic centers providing top chiropractic care for the uptown, NoDa, and University area, located conveniently off North Tryon Street.
Tagged with: Charlotte NC chiropractor
Filed under: chiropractors