At times, fall and winter can be even more active than summer, leaving countless patients in search of the best Charlotte chiropractor. Let’s face it… fall has barely arrived and old man winter is knocking on the door. It all started in September when the leaves started changing from their velvety green to bright gold, orange, maroon and red. Colorful leaves look great in the trees, but as soon as they hit the yards and the sidewalks, it is time for the annual clean up. After all, we have to get those leaves raked up in time to shovel the snow and ice.
Before you ever pick up that rake, it is important to remember that because of the cooler outside temperatures, your body is not in the same shape as it was in August. Cooler temperatures tend to make your body less limber. This means that you are at a higher risk for a sprains and strains. You can prevent this by taking 5 minutes to get your body warmed up and ready for activity.
5 and 5 before you rake
Start your chore off by taking a 10 minute break! Before you even touch the rake, take a brisk 5 min walk around the block and finish with a 5 minute stretch. This ten minute warm up will increase the blood flow to your arms and legs, making them much more limber and ready for lifting, bending and raking. Stretching your hips and hamstrings will make your muscles more elastic and geared up for work. Consider these helpful tips for safe leaf raking and removal:
- Take time to perform some simple stretching for your shoulders, neck, and back.
- Avoid excessive twisting and repetitive movements. Performing the same motion for hours can lead to low back sprain or muscle strain. You can avoid twisting by shifting your weight and turning with your legs.
- Lifting with your legs and not your back is important, even if you think that a bag full of leaves is not heavy. If the leaves are wet, be mindful to lift those bags with the muscles in your legs and not with your back.
- Remember that the most frequent reason for injury to the back or neck is because of overuse. Pace yourself, and save yourself for another day. Chances are that the leaves are falling as fast as you rake them up.
- Rakes are old technology. Use a blower if possible, but be sure to change hands often to avoid overuse or strain to one side of your spine.
- Just as you do with exercise, cool down with some gentle stretching, in an effort to help relieve muscle tension and tightness.
Consult with a Best Charlotte Chiropractor
Are you looking for a Charlotte chiropractor who is passionate about helping you achieve optimal health and providing high quality chiropractic care? The doctors at ChiroCarolina® are experts that can successfully diagnose and treat patients in a way that is gentle, natural, and painless. They understand that every patient experiences unique conditions and factors that can affect their health. It is time to improve your quality of life. Call their office to experience the best Charlotte chiropractor to get you in shape for fall and winter activities.
Filed under: chiropractors